KitKat is the latest version of the android operating system. Currently, KitKat is only available for the latest android smartphones. Using a Custom ROM, I’m going to show you How to Install KitKat 4.4.2 on Sony Xperia Ray. We all know that, officially KitKat is not available for Sony Xperia Ray Smartphones. Last official android version for Sony Xperia Ray is Ice-cream Sandwich 4.0.4:
Recommended For Reading:
- Sony Xperia Ray Updated To Android ICS 4.0.4 – Review
- How To Root Sony Xperia Ray With Android 4.0.4 In 5 Minutes
After Ice-cream Sandwich, android released Jelly Bean 4.1 for android smartphones. But, Sony doesn’t release Jellybean for Sony Xperia Ray. But, I have provided a best Custom ROM Jelly Bean 4.1.2 for Sony Xperia Ray Smartphones. I’m very happy to say that, Jelly Bean 4.1.2 is a big success and worked fine in my mobile without any issues. For the last few weeks, I am getting hundreds of positive comments from my readers. Thanks to all the readers who tested Jelly Bean by using my tutorial.
Recommended For Reading:
- How To Install Jelly Bean 4.1.2 On Sony Xperia Ray
- Update Sony Xperia Ray To Jelly Bean 4.1.2 [Latest ROM Version 8.0]
Android KitKat 4.4.2 for Sony Xperia Ray
I have got so many requests from so many readers to release KitKat for Sony Xperia Ray. So, most of the readers of NetMascots is eagerly waiting for the Android KitKat release. I have successfully installed android KitKat 4.4.2 on my device and it is working fine without any issues. Before going to try this ROM, I’m strongly recommending you to read my complete review on KitKat 4.4.2 and Xperia Ray.
I hope you enjoyed the taste of KitKat from my review. What do you think? Awesome? Then, why are you waiting to let’s proceed to Install KitKat 4.4.2 on Sony Xperia Ray?
How to Install KitKat 4.4.2 On Xperia Ray – Procedures
Checklist Before Proceeding:
- Backup your contact, SMS and call logs. Warning: All your contacts, SMS, and call logs will be erased when you install custom ROM. Note: Many apps are available in play store to help you backup your SMS, call logs and contacts.
- Backup your apps and data (If needed). I’m recommending Titanium Backup root to take a full backup of your apps including app data. Warning: All your apps will be deleted while installing this ROM.
- Phone must be charged minimum 80%.
- Enable USB debugging.
- Phone must be rooted (If you are using any Custom ROM, then it is already rooted!)
- The bootloader must be unlocked.
Note: To unlock the bootloader, read “Step 1” in the Jelly Bean Installation tutorial.
1. KitKat 4.4.2 ROM Files And Gapps
Download KitKat Custom ROM Files From Here (Link Updated On 28/Jun/2014)
Download Folder contains:
- Kernel (boot.img)
- KitKat ROM (pac_urushi_4.4.Alpha-1_20140314-072251)
- Gapps (gapps-kk-20140105-signed)
2. Latest Version Flashtool: Download From Here
Now you are ready to install KitKat 4.4.2 On Sony Xperia Ray Smartphone.
Steps For Installing KitKat 4.4.2
Step 1: Copying ROM files to SD card
Before flashing you need to copy KitKat ROM file (pac_urushi_4.4.Alpha-1_20140314-072251) and Gapps (gapps-kk-20140105-signed) to the SD card.
Note: If you are doing this step after flashing the ROM, you can’t connect your device in mass storage mode to transfer files to SD card. The reason is, you need to turn on the phone to enable mass storage mode! So, just connect your device to PC and copy the two zipped files to the SD card. DO NOT UNZIP THE FILES.
Step 2: Flashing Kernel
For detailed tutorial on Flashing Kernel(boot.img) Using Flashtool, read this article:
OR See the tutorial video given below:
Step 3: Installing ROM and Gapps
- Switch on your device and get into the recovery. To get into the recovery, you need to press the volume down button few times while your phone gets booted.
Note: I repeat, you need to press the volume down button repeatedly (NOT PRESS AND HOLD) till you see the options in the recovery mode. The reason for why I told like that is because, most the readers who installed the Jelly Bean ROM made this mistake!
- After getting into the recovery, you can use your volume up and down buttons for navigation and use “Home” button to make the selection.
Now you are in the recovery. Please follow these steps for completing the procedures:
- wipe data/factory reset>>yes – wipe all user data
- wipe cache partition>>yes-wipe cache
- advanced>>wipe Dalvik cache>>yes – wipe Dalvik cache
- install.zip>>choose zip from /storage/sdcard0>>pac_urushi_4.4.Alpha-1_20140314-072251>>yes – install pac_urushi_4.4.Alpha-1_20140314-072251
- Note: Be patient, Installation may take some time. You can see a blue progress bar at the bottom of the installation page.
- install.zip>>choose zip from /storage/sdcard0>>gapps-kk-20140105-signed>>yes – install gapps-kk-20140105-signed
- After completing the installation, come back to the main menu by pressing the back button.
- Now go to advanced>>power off to shut-down the device.
Note: Please allow up to 15 min to settle the ROM.
Hurray! You have successfully installed Android KitKat 4.4.2 OS in your Sony Xperia Ray.
I’m eagerly waiting for your comments and feedbacks. Because, your comments are my inspiration to write tutorials and articles.
Stuck in any step? Need help? Feel free to comment here. I’m always happy to help my readers.
Featured Image Author (Background): Thomas Gehrke